The health benefits of cherries have been discussed among health gurus for centuries. These health benefits of cherries come from their high concentration of antioxidants.
Also referred to as vitamin C, antioxidant vitamins play a critical role in collagen formation, iron absorption, and many other important functions in the body.
Benefits of Cherries:
- Vitamin C is also responsible for flavonoid phenols and procyanidins, which play a vital role in maintaining healthy gums and teeth and supporting a healthy immune system.
- The two most common health benefits of cherries pertain to gout and arthritis. Both conditions are characterized by the presence of high uric acid levels in the bloodstream. High levels of uric acid lead to crystals that deposit on joints.
- Over time, these crystals harden into tiny needle-like structures, eventually becoming hard and painful to the touch. Cherries contain natural anti-inflammatory properties that may reduce the effects of gout and arthritis.
- The next most important health benefits of cherries pertains to their sweet taste. Although there is no scientific research supporting the claim that eating the fruit itself provides some sort of health benefit, eating the over-ripe fruit itself is very pleasant.
- Over the course of a single day, you can enjoy up to six ounces of sweet cherries containing more than 50 calories. Needless to say, the calories will add up quickly.
- Besides their delicious taste, another one of the health benefits of cherries has to do with how easily they dissolve in the mouth. Just about any type of food or drink can be enjoyed even though it is left sitting on a plate.
- However, when you eat something that has a lot of “flavor,” such as canned fruit, it can take a bit longer for your taste buds to get used to the new flavor. When you eat sweet cherries, the sugars and acids in the fruit Leach out into the liquid surrounding them, providing the flavors with a quick introduction to the human tongue.
- Because of this, people often find that their tastes automatically improve after a round or two of this. It is almost like someone has handed you a little slice of dessert before you have even had the chance to appreciate it.
- The third most important health benefits of cherries has to do with their high concentrations of antioxidants. While eating any fruit will provide you with plenty of vitamins and antioxidants, cherries are among the highest. Can dogs eat cherries?
- By including this fruit in your diet, you can protect your body against a number of harmful elements, including bad cholesterol and the formation of arteriosclerosis. While it is impossible to completely reverse arteriosclerosis, eating foods such as cherries will significantly reduce the effects it has on your blood vessels.
- In fact, many doctors recommend consuming at least four ounces of this fruit per day in order to reduce the effects of atherosclerosis.
- While it is impossible to completely reverse arteriosclerosis, cherries can definitely help you lower your levels by adding fiber and vitamin c into your diet. Fiber is an element that binds with cholesterol in the digestive system.
- While not entirely clear why this occurs, studies have shown that fiber can decrease the amount of cholesterol that can attach to the walls of blood vessels. Vitamin c is also a component of fiber, and while it does not reduce cholesterol, it does reduce the amount of oxidized LDL cholesterol in the blood.
- This can have a positive effect on heart health, as LDL cholesterol is believed to increase the risk of heart disease.
- Although all fruits contain vitamin c, research has suggested that some types of cherries may have up to five times more vitamin c than other types. Most sources of this powerful antioxidant include orange juice, strawberries, oranges, cantaloupe, and kiwi fruit and cauliflower for dogs. Research has also indicated that eating at least one ounce of cherries per day can reduce the risk of stroke and heart disease.
- One of the compounds in cherry pits, melatonin, has been shown to be very effective in helping people sleep. Melatonin has been proven to relieve jet lag and other travel related inconveniences. It has also been found to stimulate the immune system and increase the production of growth hormone.
- Although research has indicated many health benefits of cherries, there are several disadvantages that should be considered before picking berries for consumption. First, these foods are very sweet.
- As such, they may cause a rapid increase in blood pressure. Also, because of their high antioxidant content, they can cause serious damage to the esophagus if they are consumed too much.
You May also like to read: