An Electrical contactor or a power contactor is a device used for switching an electrical circuit on or off. Electrical contactors are considered to be a distinct kind of a relay. However, the relay and contactor’s fundamental difference is that the contactor is used in higher current carrying capacity applications. In contrast, the relay is used for lower current applications.
Electrical contactors can be field mounted quickly and are compact. In most cases, these contacts normally open and provide operating power to the load when the electrical contactor coil is energized. Electrical contactor is used to control electric motors. There are various types of electrical contactors, and each type has its own set of applications, features, and capabilities.
The most common application area of the electrical contactor is the high-current load. Electrical contactors have the aptitude to handle currents of over 5000 amperes and high power of over 100 kW. Arcs are produced whenever there is an interruption in Heavy motor currents. A power contactor can control or reduce these arcs.
Components of a Contactor
Three crucial components of an electrical contactor are:
- Coil: The most vital element of an electric contactor is a coil. A driving force is required to close the contacts provided by the coil or electromagnet of the Electrical contactor.
- Enclosure: Electrical contactors present a chamber to provide insulation and protection to contacts. The protective chamber is made from different materials, such as polycarbonate, polyester, Nylon 6, Bakelite, thermosetting plastics, etc. Generally, the open-frame electrical contactor features an additional enclosure, which protects the device from bad weather, hazards of explosion, dust, and oil.
- Contacts: Contacts are also a critical component of these electric contactors. The contacts do the current-carrying task of the electrical contactor. Different types of connections in an Electrical Contactor are power contacts, auxiliary contacts, and contact springs. Each has a role to play.
- Lighting Control
Electrical contactor is often used in large lighting installations to provide central control. Latching contactors are used to reduce power consumption in the contactor coils, and This latching contactor has two operating coils. When one of these coils gets momentarily energized, it closes the power circuit contacts. These circuits are then mechanically held closed until the second coil opens the contacts.
- Electric Motor Starter
Electrical contactors can be used as a magnetic starter. The device designed to provide power to an electric motor is called a magnetic starter. Its essential component is a power contactor, which protects from overload, under-voltage, and power cutting.
Best Electrical Contactors And Contactor Types:
For unmatched results and stability, the BCH range of Electrical Contactor is your best option. BCH Electrical Contactor is compact, giving customers extra space and more flexibility and rugged construction to boast a long electrical and mechanical life. BCH Electrical Contactor is widely used in various applications like motor starters, pumps, cranes, welding, resistance furnaces, lighting, and HVAC. Be it agriculture, railways, steel production, or mining.
There are three types of electric contactors that BCH offers:
- Citation Contactors
Citation 3 Pole Contactors are designed for high performance and easy maintenance. These are suitable for mill duty, crane control, motor control centers, switching of solenoids, capacitor banks, and lighting & heating circuits.
2.4 Pole & 2 Pole Contactors
NHD, 4 Pole Electrical Contactors are the most rugged, proven & time-tested Contactors for Agriculture Starters & tough Industrial applications. They offer the choice of add-on auxiliary contact block with configuration 1NO+1NC,2NO, or 2NC.
- 2 Pole CPG Contactor
This is the most rugged & proven contactor for Single Phase pump control application and withstands the field’s harsh voltage fluctuation condition.
- 2 Pole JPG Contactor
BCH introduces an innovative design to meet the need of the market for Single Phase Pump Control.
Freedom Contactors: Freedom Series Contactors provide a lot more freedom in flexibility, maintenance, and cost-effectiveness.
Freedom Electrical Contactor can perform efficiently in harshest & most challenging environmental conditions. These Contactors are rugged & most compact in construction and high electrical life as high as 2.7 million operations.
These contactors are highly reliable in operation. There is no duration up to 60°C ( AC 3 duty), and these Electrical Contactors are time tested for more than three decades.
Freedom Contactors are available in multiple ranges from 6A to 1200 A ( AC3 duty)
- Snap open design for easy inspection.
- Low VA burden coils and is considered to be the greenest contactors
- Self-lifting screw for quick termination
- They were successfully tested for Type-2 coordination.