Installing wheel stops is a great way to safeguard your car from encroachment. Wheel stops are a common sight in the parking area of establishments like medical facilities, shopping areas, garages. They work as an indicator for the driver to stop at the right spot otherwise the car might cross its designated parking spot. When you compare other parking safety products, then compared to all others, wheel stop provide better functionality and they are also a cheap option. Besides, these ensure proper spacing between the cars parked in the parking lot, hence defining the boundary within which a car should be parked.
Types of Wheel Stops
The three main types of materials that are used to make wheel stop are concrete, rubber, and plastic that have their respective advantages and disadvantages.
1. Concrete wheel stops:
As the name implies, concrete wheel stop are heavy. Therefore, they are stable and are capable of withstanding a huge amount of force. They are undoubtedly sturdy and everlasting especially when installed indoors. But, they come with some cons when installed outdoors. The dynamic environmental conditions such as sun, rain, snow, and so on result in the weakening of the concrete material which makes it prone to getting chipped and cracked, even with the slightest contact of car wheels. However, one benefit that you can get is that they are easy to install.
2. Rubber wheel stops:
Rubber wheel stops are lighter in weight than concrete ones. They are more resistant for tearing and wearing and are perfectly suitable for the outdoors. Rubber wheel stop are environment friendly because they are made from 100% recycled rubber. Also, they can easily be installed as part of asphalt or concrete bases so you will have no problem in utilizing the best methods to safeguard your vehicles.
3. Plastic wheel stops:
Plastic wheel stop are the lightest and cheapest variety in terms of weight and price respectively. Due to their lightweight, they are usually installed in personal parking areas and garages where the chances of heavy moving vehicles are less.
Now, let’s jump into the reasons stating why having wheel stop is necessary for your parking area.
Benefits of Having:
- The wheel stop act as an aid to the driver while parking his car. They help the driver in parking his car safely and at the right spot even when he is in a hurry.
- These an indicators for the driver to stop and prevent ramming into the nearby wall or other cars and properties of the parking area.
- Wheels stop of all the three materials i.e. concrete, plastic and rubber are durable and long-lasting and have great impact resistance.
- Unlike concrete wheel stop, rubber, and plastic are easy to install because of their low weight and require less maintenance.
- Rubber and plastic wheel stop are easy to locate at night as they are commonly colored yellow over black in stripes, making their visibility clear. Therefore, you won’t be facing any problem while parking your car at night.
- Wheel stop are extremely useful in uneven areas and areas with a slope as they prevent the car from moving, ensuring its safety.
Hence, these are the major benefits of having wheel stops. However, the purpose of wheel stops varies with its colors. Yellow and black wheel stops are used in standard parking areas whereas blue wheel stops are specifically installed in disabled parking areas. On the other hand, red wheel stop indicate that the spot is for reserved parking. So now you can install wheel stop for all your enclosed parking areas.